The NAHRO Constitution states, "the purpose of the organization is to improve the standards and practices of all phases of administration […] and to develop and improve the professional standards involved in the administration" of housing and community development programs.
Professional Development has been a primary service to NAHRO members and others in the industry for over 75 years. In the past 30 years, NAHRO has provided members and non-members alike with professional education and designations.
- Gain relevant skills and knowledge to effectively execute job responsibilities;
- Attain a professional designation(s) as part of career development;
- Stand out to employers with demonstrated knowledge in the fieilds of housing and community development
- Learn at your own pace
You will find that every seminar fits into one or more certification pathway. You can also take any one of our seminars as a single learning event.
Why Multiple Certifications?
The affordable housing programs most closely associated with NAHRO members require a vast array of both task and process oriented education. NAHRO recognizes that its associates need training opportunities that provide technical knowledge, skills and, abilities with federal rules/regulations, as well as guidance and mastery in the critical thinking associated with program, portfolio, and grants management.
For that reason, certifications have been organized into levels for Specialists, Operational Managers , and Executives. NAHRO also believes that candidates will experience career growth through and during certification. Professional Development is about growing technicians, executives, and leaders through a comprehensive and thoughtful series of certifications.
Standards for Certification:
- Education – NAHRO allows for a variety of venues to complete the educational components, including in-class instruction and e-learning
- Experience – Tasks, skills and abilities require measurement from practical application. NAHRO believes that a minimal level of on-the-job experience prepares associates well for certification
- Exam/Assessment – Certification requires validation of ability, and viable certifications are measured by exams and assessments. NAHRO understands and embraces this concept
- Ethics – Most of the member agencies of NAHRO receive federal or governmental funds and as a result, create an environment requiring public trust. NAHRO is built on an ethical foundation and insists that all certifications provide exposure and guidance on ethical behavior
- Re-certification or Certification Maintenance – The industry is always changing, thus requiring all recipients to receive updated guidance on programs and protocol
Committees and Boards:
Developed by the industry for the industry, this system represents the thousands of individuals who work every day at their agencies. NAHRO's Professional Development Committee is comprised of experienced delegates who represent their regions and respective states. In the national effort, the committee has three subcommittees which address specific areas of professional development. The subcommittees are:
- Curriculum - Assists with the development of all educational products and services in conjunction with the NAHRO staff at headquarters
- Quality Assurance - Analyzes the success blueprint of each of the products, including delivery, content, faculty, location and feasibility
- Marketing - Assists the NAHRO staff and leadership in ensuring effective communication and successful collaboration of the NPDS with partners, regional and local chapters
Assessments and Exams must be viable and accurately measure the skills, knowledge and ability required for each certification. NAHRO’s Assessment Boards are comprised of experienced and certified national leaders who review all assessments and exams for clarity, logistics, grammar, bias and trends. This insures that the assessment process remains fair and ethical at all times.
The Board of Ethics and Credentialing Trustees has complete oversight of NAHRO Certifications. This board has the responsibility to award certifications to associates and to review any and all infractions, discrepancies and breaches within the system.
If you have any questions or need additional information please feel free to contact the NAHRO Professional Development Team at (877-866-2476) or ProfessionalDevelopment@nahro.org